March 3, 2012

Review: Anew by Chelsea Fine

Title: Anew
Author: Chelsea Fine
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Acacia Publishing (Dec. 7th 2011)
Get it: Amazon | B&N

Goodreads Synopsis
Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her. 



REVIEW

I loved this book. While you can find a lot of books with some similar aspects to them as this one, I really felt that this has a uniqueness that makes it stand apart from others. You have Scarlet Jacobs, a girl who just woke up in the middle of a forest one day with only the memory of her name and age, nothing more. The story really begins two years later, just before her senior year of high school. She meets Gabriel Archer at a festival. His voice is so familiar to her and she instinctively knows she can trust him, though he's a stranger to her.

Things become even more complicated when Scarlet learns that Gabriel has a twin brother named Tristan, who seems to hate her though she feels an even stronger pull towards him than even to Gabriel and that confuses her all the more.

Now there is a lot of mystery to this story! You slowly, bit by bit, learn about Scarlet's past and that the Archer's are searching for something that they feel will solve all their problems but they don't have a clue how to find it. But then again, Tristan has his own solution to the problem but that's not as easy as he'd like it to be either. He too is in search of something specific. Something other than what Gabriel is hoping they find.

As you might suspect, this story contains a love triangle and while I don't mind love triangles at all, it's sometimes difficult to choose who to root for. Both Gabriel and Tristan are good guys, even if Tristan is mean to Scarlet quite often. It's just that there is a reason for his attitude. However, when he lets his guard down he's amazing. As for Scarlet's best friend Heather, I wish I had a best friend like her. She's spunky, witty, a little crazy ... well maybe a lot crazy, and she's fiercely protective of Scarlet. Plus she's annoyingly fashion conscious. But you gotta love her.

Anew is intriguing, fun, heartbreaking, and mysterious. I have to admit, I was crying by the end because let me tell you ... it ends in the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers. If I hadn't been crying I might have been yelling at the book, telling it it can NOT end that way. LOL  There are many unanswered questions that I can not wait to learn the answers to. Awry, book two in the Archers of Avalon series is scheduled for release later this year and I'm dying to read it. :) I definitely recommend Anew!


Find Chelsea Fine Online
Blog | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter


NOTE: I received a copy of Anew from the author.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved this book. I'm glad that it didn't involve werewolves, vampires, fairies, mermaids, or any of the currently popular fictional beings. This book also had an interesting take on the love triangle. I'm really happy about Scarlet and how realistic she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brasil,
    As much as I love books with vampires, werewolves, etc., I really enjoyed this book and agree with you. I recently bought Awry, so I'm excited to find out what happens next with Scarlet, Gabriel, and Tristan.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete