January 19, 2015

Review: Rellik by Teresa Mummert

Title: Rellik
Author: Teresa Mummert
Genre: Dark Contemporary Romance
Publisher:  Amazon Digital Services, Inc. (Oct. 28th 2014)
Get it: Amazon | B&N | iTunes


Goodreads

Rellik Bentley is to die for.

He can have any woman he wants and they will do anything to be with him. He uses and abuses them like drugs and tosses them out with the trash. The only thing he gives a f*ck about is his music. That is, until Ella Leighton walks into his life and stumbles upon one of his darkest secrets. In the midst of doing damage control, he begins to obsess over the mysterious woman who wants absolutely nothing to do with him. Rellik won’t take no for an answer.


REVIEW

Up until this point I hadn't read one of Teresa Mummerts books despite wanting to. I'm not sure why I hadn't. I heard so many great things about some of her books through social media and various book blogs. So when Rellik went on sale recently, I bought it and dived in.

The premise of the story was interesting enough to keep me glued to the pages because I really wanted to know how the story played out. However, I was flabbergasted by all of the glaring mistakes in the writing. I just kept wondering whether anyone besides the author read this book prior to it being published. I know how easy it is to make mistakes when writing and not noticing those mistakes until you re-read over what you've written a number of times. Even then some mistakes are still missed because you know what you meant to write, so the errors are overlooked. And for me, I have a bad habit of highlighting errors when reading digital books. When I finished, I believe I had a little over 70 errors highlighted. But to be honest, I'm sure there were more mistakes than that. The images below show some of the early highlighted mistakes. At least some are what I believed to be mistakes because I either hadn't heard the phrase used before or it just didn't make sense to me.


--


Now I did like the way the story was told in some respects. You get small bits of Rellik's and Ella's pasts woven into the story so that it kept me wondering what exactly happened to the two of them that led them to where they are today. Which, of course, kept me reading. It also made me wonder how their stories connected. But I have to admit that there were times that I was just completely confused.

This next part contains spoilers. The spoiler tags didn't work so to view, please highlight.

-start of spoilers-
Okay, so we learn at one point by a brief mention that there is a serial killer dubbed the Dream Killer.  Ella later tells Rellik that she believes that her father is the Dream Killer and wants him to kill her father for her. Rellik does but then Ella finds out that the killer was not her father at all. It was in fact Rellik himself. Now what confuses me, unless I missed something, is that I don't understand what drove Rellik to become this Dream Killer. Who were his victims? How did he choose them? Was it just random? I don't understand and to be honest, I'm not sure that it was entirely relevant to the overall story. I suppose one might think that because of what happened in his past, the fact that he was the cause of his father's death and then the abuse and suicide of his girlfriend, that it would make him angry enough to want to kill people who he deemed were bad ... but why? Also, you assume that Rellik doesn't know anything about Ella when they first meet but in fact, he knew about her. He put an eviction notice on her door although I don't understand why. It might have been so that he could offer her a place to stay and keep an eye on her because of the fact that he knew (I'm assuming from his friend and Ella's boss) that she was researching his past and he wanted to know why.
-end of spoilers-

I have read my fair share of books that had a lot of mistakes in them but I don't believe that I have ever been quite as frustrated with any of them as I was with this one. I guess my expectations were just too high to start with. It's unlikely that I will be in any particular hurry to read more of her work but I'll probably give her another chance at some point.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm giving this book two stars.




Find Teresa Mummert Online
Blog | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment