February 26, 2012

Review: Emotionally Charged by Selina Fenech

Title: Emotionally Charged
Author: Selina Fenech
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Fairies and Fantasy Pty Ltd (Nov. 1st 2011)
Get it: Amazon | B&N | Smashwords

Goodreads Synopsis
Livvy always dreamed of the day when a rich, handsome hero would appear and whisk her away from her mundane life. She never thought she would be the one doing the saving.

Reading the emotions of people around her is easy for Livvy. When an earthquake strikes her city, a supernaturally attractive group of rescuers show her that her power goes beyond that. She’s now one of them. Special. But the dream life she’s been swept into seems too easy, and soon turns into a nightmare.


REVIEW

I have to say that I really liked the premise of Emotionally Charged. You have Livvy who seems like your typical teenager but with one exception, she can tell what people around her are feeling. She's never told anyone about that fact because she just wants to fit in but at the same time she's bored with her life. She craves romance, excitement, danger. Really she wants to be a hero and be appreciated. When an earthquake hits, her adventure begins.

Livvy unexpectedly meets a group of people just like her and she desperately wants to be apart of their group because she believes that with them she will finally have the life she's wanted. But all isn't as she expected.

Now I really enjoyed Selina's take on what being an empath meant and I liked the character of Livvy and how, despite how badly she wanted an exciting life, there were limits to what she would do to achieve it. Though there was a moment when she allowed herself to do something that she'd never under normal circumstances do, she quickly realized that if that is what it takes to get what she wants, it's not worth it.

Livvy meets Dean, whom I liked, and an unlikely friendship is formed. It was nice to finally see Dean open up to Livvy about his life, his past, and his feelings, which he hid from everyone including Livvy.

Now although I did like the story it felt like it started off slow to me but it did pick up. And the end ... well, it seemed to end in the middle of a conversation. I turned the page and there was no more story. I honestly wondered if what I was reading was a finished version or not but I got it from Smashwords and there was nothing there that stated it wasn't a complete work. So I was disappointed about that. I really felt like there could, and should, have been more. There were some loose ends that truthfully needed to be resolved.

I have since learned, from seeing a reply to a post on Selina's site that she does in fact plan to write more for this series. She stated: "I’ll be releasing a short story about Emma from the Empath Chronicles before getting into the hard work of the next full novel." I'm very glad to hear that!


Find Selina Fenech Online
Website | Blog | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment